Miliary Tuberculosis is a form of TB that occurs when a blood vessel gets eroded and a large number of TB bacteria get distributed all over the body through the vascular system.
Each one of these would within days and weeks grow into a caseous mass, which eventually would overcome the patient. TB in children occurs often in children less than 4 years of age and in older persons with a weak immune system as well as AIDS patients.
The diagnosis can be very confusing with a fever of unknown origin, general debility and in the case of AIDS with symptoms both due to TB as well as AIDS.
A chest X-ray shows nodules in the lungs. Bronchoscopy with cytological washings and biopsy of suspicious areas in the bronchial tree will lead to the correct TB diagnosis. The histology report will show tuberculous granulomas, but the commercially available polymerase chain reaction to TB is more rapid and very specific. Treatment for tuberculosis is started immediately and multi-drug antituberculous therapy will very quickly stabilize and cure the patient’s condition.
1. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 161.
2. TC Dixon et al. N Engl J Med 1999 Sep 9;341(11):815-826.
3. F Charatan BMJ 2000 Oct 21;321(7267):980.
4. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 43.
5. JR Zunt and CM Marra Neurol Clinics Vol.17, No.4,1999: 675-689.
6. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 162.
7. LE Chapman : Antivir Ther 1999; 4(4): 211-19.
8. HW Cho: Vaccine 1999 Jun 4; 17(20-21): 2569-2575.
9. DO Freedman et al. Med Clinics N. Amer. Vol.83, No 4 (July 1999): 865-883.
10. SP Fisher-Hoch et al. J Virol 2000 Aug; 74(15): 6777-6783.
11. Mandell: Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, 5th ed., © 2000 Churchill Livingstone, Inc.
12. Goldman: Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 21st ed., Copyright © 2000 W. B. Saunders Company
13. PE Sax: Infect DisClinics of N America Vol.15, No 2 (June 2001): 433-455.
14. Ferri: Ferri’s Clinical Advisor: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment, 2004 ed., Copyright © 2004 Mosby, Inc.
15. Rakel: Conn’s Current Therapy 2004, 56th ed., Copyright © 2004 Elsevier