Here is a brief dictionary of obstetrics where these complicated medical terms are explained.
Cesarean delivery : quick delivery by surgery
eclampsia : syndrome with leakage of protein into urine, high blood pressure, edema, kidney and liver damage. This can suddenly lead to seizures, shock and death of the mother
epidural injection : anesthetic procedure (a needle in the back to inject anesthetic into epidural space); this is done to numb pain and make it a pain free delivery. The
episiotomy: cut in soft tissue of perineum (behind opening of vagina) to create extra room for the presenting part of the baby
fetal monitoring : applies to electronic equipment to monitor baby’s heart beat with scalp clip and recording pressure inside uterus during high risk delivery process
forceps delivery : assisting delivery by pulling on presenting part with forceps
meconium : greenish staining of the amniotic fluid from bowel secretions of the baby (often a sign of baby distress)
multigravida : woman with another pregnancy (all after the first)
pre-eclampsia : precursor condition of eclampsia; the clinician will aggressively monitor for these signs and symptoms to prevent eclampsia
presenting part : usually the head, but could be breech presentation (behind first)
primigravida : woman with first time pregnancy
rescucitation : reviving of a person (usually applied to baby after birth)
term baby : baby born 38 to 42 weeks after 1st day of last menstrual period
vertex presentation : normal head first position (contrary to a breech presentation where the baby’s buttock presents)
1. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 235.
2. B. Sears: “Zone perfect meals in minutes”. Regan Books, Harper Collins, 1997.
3. Ryan: Kistner’s Gynecology & Women’s Health, 7th ed.,1999 Mosby, Inc.
4. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 245.
5. AB Diekman et al. Am J Reprod Immunol 2000 Mar; 43(3): 134-143.
6. V Damianova et al. Akush Ginekol (Sofia) 1999; 38(2): 31-33.
7. Townsend: Sabiston Textbook of Surgery,16th ed.,2001, W. B. Saunders Company
8. Cotran: Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease, 6th ed., 1999 W. B. Saunders Company
9. Rakel: Conn’s Current Therapy 2001, 53rd ed., W. B. Saunders Co.
10. Ruddy: Kelley’s Textbook of Rheumatology, 6th ed.,2001 W. B. Saunders Company
11. EC Janowsky et al. N Engl J Med Mar-2000; 342(11): 781-790.
12. Wilson: Williams Textbook of Endocrinology, 9th ed.,1998 W. B. Saunders Company
13. KS Pena et al. Am Fam Physician 2001; 63(9): 1763-1770.
14. LM Apantaku Am Fam Physician Aug 2000; 62(3): 596-602.
15. Noble: Textbook of Primary Care Medicine, 3rd ed., 2001 Mosby, Inc.
16. Goroll: Primary Care Medicine, 4th ed.,2000 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
17. St. Paul’s Hosp. Contin. Educ. Conf. Nov. 2001,Vancouver/BC
18. Gabbe: Obstetrics – Normal and Problem Pregnancies, 3rd ed., 1996 Churchill Livingstone, Inc.
19. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 251.
20. The Merck Manual, 7th edition, by M. H. Beers et al., Whitehouse Station, N.J., 1999. Chapter 250.
21. Ignaz P Semmelweiss: “Die Aetiologie, der Begriff und die Prophylaxis des Kindbettfiebers” (“Etiology, the Understanding and Prophylaxis of Childbed Fever”). Vienna (Austria), 1861.
22. Rosen: Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice, 4th ed., 1998 Mosby-Year Book, Inc.
23. Mandell: Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, 5th ed., 2000 Churchill Livingstone, Inc.
24. Horner NK et al. J Am Diet Assoc Nov-2000; 100(11): 1368-1380.
25. 19th Annual World Congress on Anti-Aging and Aesthetic Medicine in Las Vegas (December 8-10, 2011) Dr. Hertoghe lectured on “Premature aging caused by hormone deficiencies in utero”.