In the first place, malignant lymphoma is a bone cancer with the synonym”reticulum cell sarcoma”. To explain, it affects adults between 40 and 60. To emphasize, it can originate in any bone throughout the body and looks histologically characteristic with a mixture of lymphoblasts, lymphocytes and so-called reticulum cells.
Specifically, like with the other bone tumors there is bone pain as well as swelling in the affected bone area. X-rays show severe bone destruction (the white area in the upper tibia just below the knee joint is bone tumor) early on. Certainly, it is not surprising that pathological fractures in the tumor area are common.
By all means, initially the doctor likely will order such tests as a bone scan, a CT scan or an MRI scan. It is important to realize that the doctor can only establish the diagnosis, when a bone biopsy proves the histology.
If the disease is localized, the prognosis with treatment is relatively good with a cancer survival rate of more than 50% over 5 years. In the past amputation of the affected extremity was done. Nowadays treatment consists of radiotherapy, as well as chemotherapy (in combination). Trials have shown that this yields the same or better survival rates, so that amputations or other crippling surgery no longer have to be done. Medicine has learnt much from the treatment of osteosarcomas and the same methods of treatment are in use here.
1. Cancer: Principles &Practice of Oncology. 4th edition. Edited by
Vincent T. DeVita, Jr. et al. Lippincott, Philadelphia,PA, 1993. Chapter on Sarcomas of the soft tissues and bone.
2. Cancer: Principles&Practice of Oncology. 5th edition, volume 2. Edited by Vincent T. DeVita, Jr. et al. Lippincott-Raven Publ., Philadelphia,PA, 1997. Chapter on Sarcomas of the soft tissues and bone.
3. Conn’s Current Therapy 2004, 56th ed., Copyright © 2004 Elsevier
4. Ferri: Ferri’s Clinical Advisor: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment, 2004 ed., Copyright © 2004 Mosby, Inc
5. Suzanne Somers: “Breakthrough” Eight Steps to Wellness– Life-altering Secrets from Today’s Cutting-edge Doctors”, Crown Publishers, 2008