General remarks regarding the website
- General information: This website contains health news, health articles and useful medical information that you can apply in everyday life. The mission of this website is to provide a collection of common medical topics and deal with it in some depth. The end result is a health book on the Internet (hence the name “Nethealthbook”).
- Since the end of 2014 I have also added a news section where you find timely topics that made the news or the result of relevant clinical trials that were recently published. In the selection of the topics I emphasize human data rather than animal experiments as they often lack clinical relevancy.
- The content of the website is written for the general public of all ages (students to adults).
- Ray Schilling is a health professional who worked in cancer research, general practice, walk-in-clinics and occupational medicine. He is up-to-date on anti-aging literature, his present area of interest apart from his interest in the rest of medicine.
- This site complies to the HON code standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
- Advertisements are clearly marked. Presently one advertiser is used: Adsense Ads from Google. Income from these is used to defray some of the costs to maintain the website. We use banner ads that have a small label “Advertisement” attached to the frame. The content of the website is independent from the advertisers. My website does not accept text link ads or pop-up ads. There is no conflict of interest between the content of ads and the content of the website.
- All medical material published by Ray Schilling, M.D. on his website is for informational purposes only. Although every effort has been made to research materials according to the latest medical knowledge, readers are encouraged to confirm the information contained herein with other sources. Patients and consumers should review the information carefully in conjunction with their professional health care providers who will always be solely responsible for their clinical management. The information of this medical website is not intended to replace medical advice offered by the treating physicians. Ray Schilling, M.D. or the Webmaster will not be liable for any direct, indirect, consequential, special, exemplary, or other damages arising therefrom.
- This medical website is founded on evidence based medicine offering up-to-date medical information. The links have been chosen exclusively at the discretion of the author to illustrate or deepen the information gained from the web site. There are no financial ties to any drug companies or to any of the products mentioned in this medical website (like under “Resources”). The editorial content is not influenced by any of the links in the resource section or by links in the text of blogs. We are in full compliance with the 8 HON principles as shown in this link.
- Products that are mentioned in the site are only suggestions that in the experience of the author or based on a review of evidence based medicine literature would be recommendable for a clinical condition. However, patients are advised to discuss this and all other aspects with their health care providers who remain responsible for the patient’s care.
- The costs for creating and hosting this site are solely the responsibility of the author.
Comments regarding the use of the platform for feedback (modified from http://www.hon.ch/cgi-bin/HONcode/guidelines_comments_en.pl)
We invite your comments. Please note that this platform is moderated by the owner of the website, a retired physician. It is expected that your comments contain relevant information regarding the content of a blog. Any spam will be removed. Both the users and the moderator must be honest and respectful. There is a zero tolerance for non-compliance to these rules.
Regarding privacy concerns: e-mails are not recorded and cookies are not used.
The website including the feedback section is a teaching aid to patients and should stimulate the readers to ask the right questions when seeing their doctor. However, the responsibility of treatment stays in the hands of the doctor and patient.
The users who will benefit from this website will be students and adults. Once the posts are placed, they are placed permanently.
A user of the platform who made a relevant comment with which the moderator agrees can leave a link to their website, if this complies with the HON (health-on-the-net) principles, but no banner ads are allowed.